Novanet Express is restricted to registered Novanet library patrons (faculty, staff and students of member institutions and Nova Scotia residents who are 18 years of age or older). If you would like to register as a Novanet patron, and have not already done so, please visit our Circulation Desk.
Patrons place requests using the Primo Discovery Catalogue. Novanet Express is used solely for requesting material held by members of the Novanet consortium.
Go to the Primo Discovery Catalogue and log in using the following directions:
1. NSCAD students, faculty or staff:
a. Click on sign-in;
b. Click on NSCAD students and staff; and
c. enter your NSCAD email and email password if you are a student, staff or faculty at NSCAD;
d. you may not need to enter your email and password for subsequent sign-ins if you keep using the bookmark (and keep the bookmark up to date).
2. Other users, such as community borrowers:
a. log in by clicking on Other Users, and
b. use your barcode or email address plus the password you’ve set up.
c. If you haven’t yet set up your password, when you first try to log in, click on the Forgot Your Password” message to create a password.
d. If it doesn’t work, or the procedure isn’t clear, please contact the library where you registered to get help setting up your password.
Once you’re logged in, you can search the full catalogue and request items to be picked up at your home library, or the library of your choice.
Placing Local Requests (items owned by your home library) in the Primo Discovery catalogue:
1. Search and locate the item record in Primo.
2. Click on the Available at NSCAD line.
3. Under the Get It section, click Request.
4. Select the Pickup Institution and Pickup Location from the drop-down menus.
5. Add an optional Comment or "Not Needed After" date if needed.
6. Click the Send Request button.
7. To choose a pickup location different from your home library, first change the “Pickup Institution” to the desired location, then the “Pickup Location” to the specific library within that institution (could be the same name).
Placing Resource Sharing Requests for items held by other Novanet libraries
To search outside your local institution, make sure you are searching “Everything” on the drop-down search menu on the right of the search bar.
1. Search and locate the item record in Primo.
2. Click on Check Available Services to see the libraries that hold this item.
3. If you haven’t already, log in to your account.
4. Under the How to Get It section, click Resource Sharing.
5. The Resource Sharing Request form will be displayed.
6. Select the Pickup Institution and Pickup Location from the drop-down menus.
7. Add an optional Comment if needed.
8. Click the Send Request button.
9. To choose a pickup location different from your home library, first change the “Pickup Institution” to the desired location, then the “Pickup Location” to the specific library within that institution (could be the same name).
A NOTE ON COPY REQUESTS: Copyright law prohibits excess photocopying, generally held to be more than 10% or one chapter of a book, or more one article from a particular journal issue.
Is there any charge for this service?
No, this service is free for Novanet patrons.
How long will my request take to arrive?
Generally, requested material arrives within 3-5 days.
How long do I have to pick the item up?
Material will be held for 7 days from arrival.
How do I cancel a request?
Please contact our Interlibrary Loans Technician, Detta Morrison-Phillips (firstname.lastname@example.org or 902-494-8255). She will notify the lending library that you wish to cancel your request. Please note that the option to cancel a request from within your Novanet account will not alert the lending library that you wish to cancel the request.
What if the item I want is currently on loan?
Placing a hold will ensure that you are in queue for the next available copy. You could also ask about placing an interlibrary loan request for the item, as that may be more expedient. Please contact Detta Morrison-Phillips (email@example.com or 902-494-8255) for more information.
How will I know when my requested material arrives, and where do pick it up?
You will be notified by email that the item has arrived. You can pick it up at the NSCAD Library Circulation Desk, unless you have requested delivery to another location.
Can I request articles or excerpts to be delivered in print?
Photocopy requests are, by default, available in PDF format. If you would prefer a print copy, please make a request in Relais, changing Delivery Method on the Relais form from Email Link to Pickup. Print copies generally take longer to arrive.